Monday 8 October 2012

Hell Week 2 - The Scarier Sequel!!!!

So after a Saturday night of pure indulgence, I then faced the Sunday with some moderation with the next competition in mind the following Saturday. According to my trainer, I may have taken it a bit too moderate and it would have been better if I had fallen off the wagon a bit more. It's just that I'm not sure she would understand just how all-or-nothing I am! I have never, ever been someone that finds middle-ground easy to walk on. I tend to pick my path and stick to it like glue - this means a shit-food day can turn into an incredible frenzy of shit-food. Over the years I have become much more able to pull back and enjoy moderation, but in light of the depletion I had just encountered, I knew that I knew that I knew I wouldn't be able to stop myself if I let loose on the Sunday.
 
Come Monday morning, I was up and at 'em. Another 1hr cardio morning, followed by a wicked, wicked leg workout at the Darwin gym, then a 3hr drive home whereupon I got out of the car and literally began another 1hr of cardio. To satisfy my hunger, chicken and lettuce yet again, and a whopping 8 litres of water. The workout was satisfying and bloody heavy, leaving my legs screaming in protest but a smile on my face.
 
By Tuesday, the smile had long gone. My legs were still screaming and I had to start the day with my early morning cardio hour. Then a heavy back workout with those nasty chin ups, and yet another hour of cardio. Chicken and lettuce five times a day and 10 litres of water. Yuck.
 
By Wednesday I  could hardly haul myself out of bed. I was so weak and fatigued that I couldn't think straight. Heavy shoulder workout and then, much to my disgust, a further 1.5 hour cardio finale. I decided to walk it out toward town for 45mins and then turn around. It was about 40 degrees and I threw the ipod in and got striding. At precisely 45mins, I had made it from home to half-way up the main street of town. The thought of walking all of the way home was daunting and I almost considered ringing Rob to collect me. I then went behind a building, drunk some cement, administered some upper-cuts to self, and walked home. And then collapsed in bed. With my 100g of steamed chicken and bloody lettuce. I wanted to puke.
 
Thursday was the day and huge, black, heavy cloud descended on my body and refused to budge. I should have been happy that the cardio contingent was over but I couldn't help thinking constantly about the 10-round upper-body beating I had to complete. And, like an idiot, I put it off all day until mid-afternoon. The only rainbow on the horizon was the thought of the 4 rice cakes, smothered in honey, that was to follow the workout. And they did taste good. But the mood didn't lighten I'm afraid.
 
This depletion round had hit me like a baseball bat and I am being totally honest in admitting that I struggled to cope with it. The hunger was one thing. The unbelievable lack of strength and stamina was a bigger killer. I consider myself to have a really strong constitution - rarely have a sickie, rarely allow myself a 'light weights day', and don't like to leave a workout with any spare energy. But here I was, this pathetic shadow of my former self. Hardly able to walk 100m without my bum fainting at the sight of every seat.
 
Let's be honest. My temper was at it's shortest fuse and it lighted up at every given opportunity. My mind could not process comments in any other way than 'good or bad'. And I reacted accordingly. With this in mind, I hardly left home (my bedroom!!) during the latter part of this week. It was truly awful and I wondered how I would get through it. Silly as that seems given the short period of time.
 
On Friday, Rob and I headed to Darwin where we had a few errands to do prior to spending the night at Berrimah for an early trek to the airport. We did one errand and I pleaded with him to get to the room so I could lie down. That's how weak I was. So I did the bare minimum of posing and tanning and eating that god-awful chicken and lettuce.
 
Friday morning at 5.30am, the taxi was due to arrive and all we had to do was wheel our suitcases to the corner of the driveway. I made it with the case to the driveway and then absolutely had to sit on the side of the road to catch my breath. Unbelievable. Awful.
 
On top of this was the disappointment that I couldn't start the re-feeding process the night before as expected. Sammy explained that flying can cause water retention and the way retains itself is in the carbs so better to wait for re-feeding until arrival in Melbourne. I was shattered at this news as I had been eagerly awaiting the oaty breakfast and sweet potato supper. My reaction was disproportionate to the news and I felt even more pathetic than ever.
 
We got to Melbourne after an uncomfortable and long flight. I can't describe what it's like to be in the big bad 'real' world and be unable to have a coffee. Eat a sandwich. Grab a piece of fruit. I felt very sorry for myself and ostracised. Are you sick of hearing this yet? Sorry, but it's the truth.
 
We collected our lovely little Corrolla, courtesy of fabulous friends. The hotel arranged for us by my beautiful friends, Tammy & Michelle, was the Crown Plaza - smack bang in the middle of Melbourne, overlooking the Yarra River. Absolutely gorgeous room!! Flowers planted there already by Penny & Racheal with a bag of choccie fantails - you girls are awesome!! We could not have been happier or more well looked after.
 
I then did the only thing I could. Grabbed my own sheet (tanning + white hotel sheets = trouble), wrapped myself into a cocoon, got into bed and slept for as long as I could while Rob went exploring. Thank goodness that I awoke in the dark to news that I could start re-feeding. So I went from nothing to 2-hourly feeds of rice cakes, honey, nut bars and sweet potato. Even had to set my alarm clock for 1.30am for a feed. While it was heavenly to my body, energy and taste buds, I preferred the previous weeks' routine and think it worked a little better for my body. I have learnt a lesson about flying somewhere the day before a comp.
 
So Saturday morning I looked like I had been in a famine - veins and loose skin everywhere. Nice! By Sunday morning, the muscles were fed and pumping, the energy level was pretty good - and it was time for Competition Day to begin!! TO BE CONTINUED.....

No comments:

Post a Comment