Sunday 21 October 2012

Through My Husband's Eyes

I thought it was time to have a good look at this whole experience through someone else's glasses! I thought Rob would be the logical choice to give an insider's perspective. I guess it's also worth remembering that my darling husband has a very easy-going nature and he loves a good challenge. I can only imagine (and cringe) at how hard it would have been if I didn't have such a supportive husband/best-friend on board.
 
So Rob, can you remember when Kirsten first told you that she was going to enter the bodybuilding competition? What did you think?
I initially thought it was a good idea. Kirsten was in the fitness business and wanted to 'walk the walk' so it seem like a natural progression. I had heard all the horror stories about the food, the training and the grumpiness, but put it aside as 'stories', however it soon became a reality. 

What were some of the first changes that you remember to her/your lifestyle?
At first nothing really changed as far as training went. The food got a fraction more 'clean' and healthy than before, but nothing over the top or extreme. The biggest change was Kirsten deciding to go off the alcohol and, being supportive, I went off it too...... 68 days. Bodywise...seeing her change shape and different muscles developing and showing was pretty impressive.   

Has it been easy being the husband of someone training for a competition like this?
Is this a loaded question???? Easy, not always. The hardest thing was coping with the three hours of training each day towards the end. A few household things were overlooked over this period as there wasn't enough hours in the day to fit it all in.

Tell us a little bit about the food issues - good, bad and ugly.
As much as it pains me to say it, I have actually enjoyed the 'new' food regime. I did however draw the line at chicken and lettuce!!
The good - still thinking - I'll get back to you on that.....
The bad - chicken and lettuce which, when coupled with a lot of exercise, meant no energy and a very tired and somewhat short-fused wife!!
The ugly - grilled tofu with soya sauce.

Tell us specifically about the few weeks prior to the competition?
In Kirsten's previous blog I think she refers to it as hell week. Understatement of the year!! The two or three weeks prior to competition was pretty intense. At times during these weeks I wondered why I didn't say J"NO" to all this nine months ago. Bodybuilding is a very self-centred sport. It is all about the individual. This is not a team sport. Her life for these two weeks was solely about her...her training, her cardio sessions, her eating, her everything.

The biggest thing was her tiredness and lack of energy, which meant there was a lot more slack for the rest of the family to pick up in order to help her get through these days.....I know - poor us!! 
However, during this period I would have to take photos to send to her trainer. Seeing her body shape change and more muscle showing, made it a bit easier to handle as I could see what the result of all her training was doing! 

To the couple of people I 'leant' on during this period, thank you...you know who you are.

Did you ever consider divorce?
Is this a set up?? No. Yes. Depends which Kirsten was around and what she had eaten!! No I never actually considered it.

Tell us about the whole tanning experience.
Hmmm. The highlight of the whole journey. Where do I start. Well I actually started at the feet and worked my way up......What a process this was. A three day process to be precise. Three layers of undercoat and a topcoat on the morning of the comp. The tanning is a fairly personal, intimate process where, I guess, if you're the one being tanned you would want to be already very close and personal with the person applying the tan. Pretty much every nook and cranny gets covered.
I was actually looking forward to getting backstage on comp day as I had been reliably informed that 'out the back' the competitors walk around topless with their assets on display while being tanned. "You beaut! Bonus", I thought. Let me tell you the truth. I need a new informant...not reliable information at all. Not one hooter seen the entire day!!!!   

Competition day - how was it for you?
I was a bundle of nerves. I felt like I was about to take part in a grand final of some description, except it wasn't even me competing. I think I was more nervous than she was. The support from friends, family and the people of Katherine was amazing. I enjoyed the day once it was over and the pressure was off. The figure round, where Kirsten didn't even get a place, was pretty devastating for me. I knew that I would have to pick her up and get her back on track for the physique rounds. She kept a very brave face and brushed it off, but deep down I could tell it had affected her. To her absolute credit she came back and smoked the physique rounds!! This day was a very big learning curve for the both of us. Knowing what I know now, made Melbourne easier.... 
Team Engels - you did yourselves proud. Your support was amazing!!

What emotions did you feel when Kirsten got her first win?
Men don't cry, but I'll admit to a small tear in the corner of my eye!! Proud, happy, excited, over the moon...you get the idea.

It did make the nine months and even the two 'hell weeks' worth it.

Tell us about Melbourne. Were you glad that Kirsten opted to go to bed while you explored?
Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Like I have said, knowing what I know now, things would have been done slightly differently - food and travel wise. Yes, I can now say I have seen Kirsten at her absolute worst...tired, hungry, emotional. On the upside for me Melbourne is a great place to explore on your own and its amazing what you can see and do in three hours.

The competition in Melbourne was strong. There were some big, defined and impressive ladies. Kirsten's placings were a great result. Kirsten has already told you about the ups and downs of the Melbourne comp, all I'm gonna say is, who runs an hour or so early??

Be honest - was she a complete pain in the arse throughout this year?
Whats with these questions?? At times, yes. But the results made it all worthwhile.

How do you feel about her deciding to continue with bodybuilding?
Having gone through one, the next will be a breeze. I know what's going to happen to her body and emotions, what training is required and how everything runs, or should run. Prepared like a boy-scout...bring it on!!!!

How do you think the kids feel about it?
Proud of their Mum. Exercise is just a part of this family and they even join in and don't know any different. I think they are enjoying having Mum back after the hell weeks!!

Has it inspired you to try bodybuilding for yourself?
Bodybuilding, not really. To train harder, eat better, be more consistent and see if I can improve myself, most definitely!!! Who knows what will happen...........

No comments:

Post a Comment